Kyle Wyman rebounded from arm surgery to win the 2021 MotoAmerica’s King of the Baggers title for the Harley-Davidson Screamin’ Eagle factory team. Wyman qualified with pole position and led the race from start to finish, setting a new class lap record at Laguna Seca WeatherTech Raceway.
Wyman, riding the factory-prepared Harley-Davidson Road Glide, crossed the line over four seconds ahead of second-place finisher, Tyler O’Hara, who was riding the S&S Cycle Indian Challenger. Michael Barnes finished third on the Hoban Brothers Racing H-D Road Glide Special, and Kyle’s brother, Travis Wyman, also put in a strong performance, finishing just outside the podium on the other Screamin’ Eagle Road Glide Special.
Kyle Wyman’s participation in Sunday’s championship finale had been in doubt following a crash in the MotoAmerica Superbike race at Road America on June 13, in which he suffered multiple fractures of his elbow. After undergoing surgery, Wyman chose to sit out the Superbike races to focus on the King of the Baggers race and the championship title.
“I just wanted to give one lap of absolutely everything I had and see where that put me, and I saw plus-one (second) after the first lap and put my head down again,” said Wyman. “The Harley-Davidson team has given me such an amazing motorcycle, and this is a dream come true for me. I grew up in a Harley-Davidson dealership but have been road racing all different brands. I never thought I’d race a Harley again after the XR1200 series, and here we are, King of the Baggers champions. Thank you so much to everyone at Harley-Davidson.”
Harley-Davidson’s CEO, Jochen Zeitz said after the race, “Kyle’s incredible dedication and focus on winning was matched by the passion and energy of the team of Harley-Davidson engineers who developed these bagger race bikes, constantly working to improve the performance of these remarkable motorcycles. This team truly exemplifies the spirit of Harley-Davidson Number 1.”
The MotoAmerica King of the Baggers is a three-race series for race-prepared, American V-Twin touring motorcycles equipped with fairing and saddlebags. Wyman’s two wins and second-place finish gave him a convincing title win with 70 points. O’Hara finished second with 45 points. Hayden Gillim was third in the series with 39 points on the Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson Street Glide.
MotoAmerica King of the Baggers Race Results Laguna Seca:
- Kyle Wyman (Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson
- Tyler O’Hara (S&S Indian)
- Michael Barnes (Hoban Brothers Racing/DTF Performance Harley-Davidson)
- Travis Wyman (Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson)
- Ben Bostrom (Feuling Harley-Davidson)
- Hayden Gillim (Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson)
- Frankie Garcia (RSD Indian)
- Patricia Fernandez (Saddlemen Indian)
- Zack Nation (Zach Nation Racing Harley-Davidson)
- Eric Stahl (Jiffy Tune Racing Harley-Davidson)
MotoAmerica King of the Baggers Series Points:
- Kyle Wyman 70 (Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson
- Tyler O’Hara 45 (S&S Indian)
- Hayden Gillim 39 (Vance & Hines Harley-Davidson)
- Frankie Garcia 36 (RSD Indian)
- Travis Wyman 33(Screamin’ Eagle Harley-Davidson)
- Eric Stahl 25 (Jiffy Tune Racing Harley-Davidson)
- John Sueberling 19 (Mad Monkey Motorsports Harley-Davidson)
- Danny Eslick 18 (Rossmeyer Daytona Racing Harley-Davidson)
- Zack Nation 17 (Zack Nation Racing Harley-Davidson)
- Michael Barnes 16 (Hoban Brothers Racing/DTF Performance Harley-Davidson)